At Women in Games we have achieved much over the past few years. Our community has grown substantially, not least in the number of Individual Ambassadors around the world who are evangelising and supporting our work. Indeed, I’m delighted to say that from this month, we now have over 1780 Individual Ambassadors in some 77 countries. We are grateful to them for their interest, enthusiasm and action, and to Keywords Studios for partnering with us, working with us and powering this Programme for the third year running.
Our events are well established, enabling thousands of women and allies to come together virtually for learning, connections and inspiration. These inclusive events are made possible thanks to our growing number of Corporate and Education Ambassadors, plus other key supporters and sponsors.
The first event for 2024 will be our popular Careers, Development & Networking Expo which takes place virtually on Thursday March 7th. As you’ll see elsewhere, the theme of this event will be ‘Making Meaningful Change’ – which feeds into our overarching theme for 2024 of ACTION.
Last year, we launched the Women in Games Manifesto, a bold declaration of our mission to foster equality, equity and fairness in the games industry. At its heart, the Manifesto lists Fourteen Reasons for supporting Women in Games, each one a powerful argument for why our cause is so crucial. These reasons are not just words on paper; they are the foundation upon which we will build a brighter future for the industry we love.
Let’s remind ourselves of them:
- Because women have long been marginalised in the games industry, and it is past time to take action to create a fair playing field.
- Because ‘women’s economic equality is good for business’ (UN, 2023).
- Because advocating through collaboration and communication are fundamental tools in the struggle to eliminate discrimination.
- Because all women working in the industry deserve to be fairly treated at all levels, from content creation to leading development teams, and from junior to senior management.
- Because equal pay for all means equal pay for women.
- Because in order to make the games industry a place of fair play, we must foster an environment in which everyone belongs.
- Because to aspire to be a fair reflection of the whole world, games must fairly reflect the world’s whole population.
- Because sexism and harassment are a scourge on the face of the games industry, and it falls to everyone, particularly leaders, to ensure the health, safety and well-being of women.
- Because toxic play environments prevent women from participating in civilised communities of play.
- Because women’s life experiences and professional expertise are wildly diverse, bringing more innovative ideas, developing better games and a richer, more vibrant creative culture for everyone.
- Because in order to achieve fairness, the tangible barriers that prevent women from entering the games industry must be removed.
- Because embracing gender equality and diversity in games and the games industry will bring about a sustainable future.
- Because education, training and professional development for girls and women are essential to bringing about a fair playing field.
- Because – to summarise all of these reasons – a fair playing field benefits all.
These reasons form the bedrock of our mission, and in 2024, we intend to take concrete action to address each one of them. We will not rest until women and girls are given equal opportunities and representation across the games industry, and are safe online, in the workplace and at in-person events.
As we embark on this journey, we call upon the support of our community and allies. We invite anyone who shares our vision to get involved, contribute, and offer feedback. Together, we are stronger, and together, we can bring about real change.
Here’s to 2024!
Marie-Claire Isaaman, CEO, Women in Games